Top 10 Carpet Cleaning Facts
Cleaning is essential to maintain the life and condition of your carpets at home or office. Without proper maintenance, a carpet can endure damage and infestation or may even wear off entirely.
Here are the 10 most important carpet cleaning facts you should consider
- All Carpets must be pre-vacuumed at the start of the cleaning job. This is mainly because dry soils such as dust and dirt turn into mud when they combine with moisture in the cleaning process. Removing mud from the carpet can be difficult and it may require rigorous cleaning procedure which may damage the fabric altogether.
- Most stains are removed in the general cleaning process. Some stains which contain tannins, dyes, acids or caustics may not come out easily hence, you may require specialized stain removal treatment.
- An acidic conditioning rinse should be used in the cleaning process. This is because almost all cleaning chemicals are alkaline in nature and an acid balances out the cleaning products.
- Not all carpet cleaning services or service providers are the same. The results obtained from each carpet cleaning service depend on the skill and expertise of the technician, along with the time and equipment used in the process.
- Carpet cleaning is not a regulated industry. When hiring a cleaner, you should look for firms certified by the IICRC (International Institute for Cleaning and Restoration Certification), the history and experience of the firm, primary training and other accreditations.
- The 'wet-dog' smell is common in wool carpets which occurs when cleaning is primarily caused by an off-gas from the natural Sulphur in wool. When the wool gets wet it produces the wet-dog smell. This is natural and may dissipate when the carpet dries.
- Cleaning the carpet does not remove the stain protection applied to carpets by the manufacturer. Wear and tear is the major reason why stain protection coatings break down. It is better to have a carpet protector such as e-Gard applied to the high traffic areas on your carpet before your stain protector reaches the end of the warranty period to maintain stain protection.
- All carpets must be groomed after the cleaning to ensure that they dry quickly and that the carpet piles sit in the same direction to maintain uniformity.
- Every Carpet cleaner is legally required to warrant their workmanship. If you are not happy with their service, you can always call the carpet cleaning company and they should offer to return to re-clean the carpet free of charge or compensate in any other ways possible. If the prior doesn’t happen, you can call the Office of Fair Trading or equivalent in your state.
- Regularly cleaned and maintained carpets last longer and look better than the carpets that are rarely maintained.
Carpet cleaning is essential to maintain the carpet’s life. As a carpet owner, you must consider keeping your expensive carpets in condition to retain maximum benefits.